The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, observed “World Radiography Day” on 8th November 2017. This date marks the anniversary of the discovery of x-radiation by Sir Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen in 1985, effectively laying the foundation for the discipline of Radiology on this day.
A summary of the events conducted on this day as under:
- The Vice Chancellor Prof. R K Mudgal, Principal and Vice-Principal, TMDCRC and heads of all dental departments visited the Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology for commemorating 122 years of this great discovery. Remembrance of Sir Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen and other pioneers was observed followed by a short celebration in the Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- Our Department displayed banners especially designed for remembrance of this day. A collage depicting all pioneers of radiology was also put up in the Department. The faculty and students further propagated this day by wearing batches specially made for observance of this day.
- Free pamphlets elucidating the facts and myths associated with radiation were distributed to all the patients visiting the dental OPD on Sir Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen day.
- The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology organized an e-poster competition with ‘Radiation and Radiography’ as the theme. Several undergraduate, postgraduate students and interns actively participated in the same. The posters were judged by the Faculty of Oral Medicine and Radiology. The prize winners were awarded with a memento by the Principal, TMDCRC.
- The Principal and Vice-Principal, TMDCRC, all the faculty, undergraduate, postgraduate students and interns gathered in Lecture Hall 2 on this day. The importance of the day was explained by Dr. M K Sunil, Prof. and Head, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology. This was followed by a presentation on the discovery of x-rays and the evolution and growth of x-rays that was jointly rendered by Dr. M K Sunil, Prof. and Head and Dr. Anudeep Raina, Reader, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- Dr. Mohan Gundappa, Principal, TMDCRC gave an enlightening speech to the gathering on the importance of this day as well as on the untoward effects of x ray radiation and its prevention. He also awarded, the prize winning participants with a memento. The award winning e-posters were displayed in Lecture Hall 2.
- All the dignitaries were felicitated with mementos especially made for this event.